Important Weather Dates 2021
Updated: Apr 18
So just like the title states, this blog post will be about important dates in 2021 in relation to weather events here in Acadiana. This post will be updated as things happen so it is a WIP.
- January 6, 2021: An EF-1 Tornado destroyed mobile homes in the village of Parks in St. Martin Parish. No injuries or deaths were reported.
- February 15-17, 2021: Winter Storm brings Freezing Rain, Sleet, and even some light Snow to Acadiana. Highs for most stay under freezing the entire day. Another winter storm brings freezing rain to St. Landry and Evangeline parishes just days after the previous storm.
- February 16, 2021: Lows in the teens for most across Acadiana are the coldest temperatures in decades for the region. Lafayette hit a low of 16 on this day.
- March 23, 2021: An EF-1 Tornado with wind speeds of 100 mph moved through the town of Washington. Roofs were ripped off of several homes and several trees were snapped. Along with this, a cold front brought severe warnings across the region and upwards of 8 inches of rain in portions of Evangeline and Jeff Davis Parishes as well as almost 10 inches of rain in St. Mary Parish.
- April 10th, 2021: An EF3 Tornado with wind speeds of 140 mph moved through St. Landry Parish for almost 9 miles. The tornado which was up to 200 yards in width damaged 15 homes. 1 person died as a result of the tornado when it destroyed a mobile home. 7 other people were injured from this event. This marks the 2nd deadly EF3 tornado in Acadiana in the past year which is very uncommon for the region. There was also an EF1 tornado that moved through the town of Lebeau also in St. Landry Parish around 1:30 AM. Wind speeds were 110 mph and was on the ground for 3.7 miles. Some trees were damaged as well as a barn.